Sunday, March 25, 2012

African Film Festival


http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
The Baltimore African film festival is taking place this weekend. The movies/ documentaries we saw yesterday were the kinds that make you cry happy and sad tears at the same time! I especially loved Kinshasa Symphony. It's a bitter sweet story of the creation of a symphony in a Kinshasa slum. You see the background stories of the symphony members with stories from a single mother trying to make ends meet to the son of prophet Simon Kimbagu
It's amazing how resourceful people can be when they are keen on achieving something. The musicians made their own instruments and learnt how to sing in German...even though they couldn't speak it.

The next film: Un homme qui crie wasn't quite as good. Too symbolic/ poetic for my tastes. It was about a former swimming champion in Chad during the war whose son is drafted and sent to war. He subsequently dies, but fortunately for the family, his girlfriend turns up pregnant. I wont go on, because it bores me to remember. I just wasn't that into the flick.

A cute little film on sustainability and such Lezare (For Today)

Great picture quality!

The last documentary: One Way, A Tuareg Journey is about the lives of a Tuareg family in Italy and their journey. The son is making the documentary and asks some interesting questions. Some Italians questioned like immigrants and others have no love for immigrants-- like any other country.


What the videos for me were very thought provoking in relation to appreciating the little that I have. I may not be rich, but I certainly have way more than a good number of people in the world. One of the quotes from the last movie that stuck with me was something like 'Looking at water doesn't reduce thirst"...powerful.

No comments: