Tuesday, August 19, 2008

R.I.P. President Mwanawasa


Yes...this time it is true that President Levy Mwanawasa is in fact dead. You could tell this morning the international media was tentatively announcing the news seeing as last time R. Banda went off on them when they made an error! Funny though, I don't feel as emotional as I did last time, I guess because now the news isn't news any more. Dunno...

My condolences to the Mwanawasa family and to the citizens of Zambia. May we transition smoothly into whatever party takes over.

I will definately have a drink for him...and will pour some outside for our ancestors! hhhhhmmm come to think of it I think Zambia breweries will make some major money this week as will Duncan Gilbey and Matheson!

C$ and I were lamenting over Mwanawasa and were talking about how in our life times we have seen many things already... first prez of Zambia to die (and to die in office), first lady to get that far in American politics, first negro to get this far in American politics, Venus & Serena, pope dying, saddam, nine eleven, Zimbabwe's downfall, the rise of South Africa... the list goes on.

So any way...we have 7 days of national mourning.
P/s: I am generally not a fan of fox news...but I was very impressed with the coverage of the Mwanawasa story as opposed to the few lines on BBC and CNN. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,406042,00.html

No comments: