Thursday, April 13, 2006

Stop Press!!

I had my annual HIV test and I am glad to announce I am syphilis, gonorrhea and HIV free. Nice innit????? Well its never fun to get the test done, but believe me you will be happier once you know your status…. So hurry on and go get tested! I get tested annually because I work in a health care system where you never know who has what. Also, men are never to be trusted!

Any way, back to the topic of today. Roe vs Wade. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade ) One of the biggest cases in America… so big, the decision to elect anyone in big government positions rides on their ideas regarding this case. Now I already mentioned my religion, so we know that I am not for abortion unless the mother’s life is in danger, or if the child’s life is in danger, or if the woman was raped. Other than that, I can’t seem to think of any other reasons that someone would want to kill a child.

Not to be hypocritical or anything, I can’t say what I would have done had I been pregnant at 15 in Zambia. In my mother’s home…. My life would have been as good as over, and I probably would have thought about an abortion. It’s easy for me to say I can never have an abortion now because I know I can take care of a child at this point.

All I’m trying to understand from the Pro-choice people is: if the woman should have the right to decide what happens to her body… meaning aborting when pregnant. Why then does the baby daddy have to pay child support? How is it that the child only becomes human and separate from its mother once it’s outside her body?

Based on pro-choice… can the father, if he’s not ready to have a baby force the woman to have an abortion legally or, shouldn’t he also have rights to decide that he doesn’t want a baby and if the mother keeps it, he wont be responsible? After all it takes a sperm and an ovum to make a baby.

As for pro-life, I think they should make allowances for people who have been impregnated due to rape. I don’t know if I would be able to love a child that I had after a traumatic incident. Also if a mother or baby was in distress during pregnancy, I would want to save one of the 2 lives.

Finally we need to act more responsibly and use some type of protection to prevent pregnancy. I have heard of people having 5 abortions…how ridiculous is that? If people are more responsible, it would prevent this big roe-wade debate.

No comments: